This XCO format race consists of multiple laps of an 18,8 km course, each with 440 height metres.
In 2017 the route includes two improvements: at 4.2km a little steep climb followed by a technique descent and another at 6.2 km as a loop with nice landscape view. Now the total length of the route increases to 18.8 km with 440m positive elevation.
The course starts and finishes in front of the town hall building in the centre of Urlați. The first challenge comes after just 1.5 km, where the tarmac ends and the first, gruelling climb begins over a rough gravel road that continues all the way to the feeding station located at km 6.5. At just shy of 400m, this is highest point of the course: the views are spectacular. Average gradient to this point is 5%, with peaks of 15%.
The next section involves a winding descent over grassy paths and dirt track into and around the beautiful Valea Nucetului – with a couple of short and sharp climbs thrown into the mix where the trail passes through the vineyards.
At around km 13.5, after a short section of tarmac, the trial heads upwards once more over a gravelly surface for the final, 2km climb through the Basilescu vineyard. Average gradient 7%, with a peak of 12%.
The following descent, over bumpy, rocky dirt track, takes participants back into Urlați, with the final km over tarmac providing some welcome respite before the next lap begins. (A second feeding station is located 1 km after the start/finish area.)
Participants can choose between the following options:
- 1 lap (18km) – amateur, no timing, recommended for beginners
- 1 lap (18 km) – children, with timing, advanced level
- 2 laps (36km) – amateur, with timing, intermediate level
- 3 laps (54km) – amateur, with timing, advanced level
- 3 laps (54km) – Elite and Juniors, licensed, with timing
- 1 lap (18 km) – amateur: M/F Open
- 1 lap (18 km) – children: M/F 13-14, 15-18
- 2 laps (36 km) – amateur: M 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+ and F 19-29, 30+
- 3 laps (54 km) – amateur: M 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+ and F Open
- Children 4km- 7-8 years, 9-10 years, 11-12 years (boys and girls together)
Children may only take part in a race with the written permission of their parents/guardians.
Bucharest 11th May
- 17.00- 19.30: Distribution of race kits at BikeXpert bike shop (Sos. Pantelomon, No. 94)
Bucharest 12th May
- 16- 19.00: Distribution of race kits at BikeXpert bike shop (Sos. Pantelomon, No. 94)
Urlați, Sunday 13th May
- 7:30-9:15: Distribution of race kits for the 4 km track (kids), in Urlați for those not from Bucharest
- 09:50: Technical briefing for the 4 km track (kids)
- 10:00: Start for the 4 km track (kids)
- 07:30-10:15: Distribution of the race kits for 18km, 36km and 54km
- 11:00 Start of Maratonul Vinului – 54 km (3 lap) course – amateur and elite
- 11:05 Start of Maratonul Vinului – 36 km (2 lap) and 18 km (1 lap) courses – amateur
- 11:15 Start of Maratonul Vinului 2013 – Family Event
- 11.30: Prize giving ceremony for the 4km track (kids)
- 12:00 Expected arrival of first contestant from the 18 km (1 lap) course
- 12:40 Expected arrival of first contestant from the 36 km (2 lap) course
- 13:10 Expected arrival of first contestant from the 54 km (3 lap) course
- 13:30 Pasta Party
- 16:00 Prize giving ceremony
- 17:00 Time limit for contestant arrival at finish
- 17:30 Closing of Maratonul Vinului 2017